Welcome to the Khon Kaen forum! Membership to this forum has been restricted. Email kketp1@ gmail dot com if you are interested in becoming a member. Thank you.

Horrific Death near Fairy Plaza Yesterday

Topic author
Chokedee

Horrific Death near Fairy Plaza Yesterday

Postby Chokedee » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Horrific Accident near Fairy Plaza yesterday morning.

Seemingly the woman in the car said after that she didn't see the bike as she was taking a selfie!

WARNING the VDO is quite shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsaHNaHf36w

Draco

Re: Horrific Death near Fairy Plaza Yesterday

Postby Draco » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks for bringing this to our attention chokedee. My family are all shocked and will be more wary/alert in future.

:Smiley60: Its about time ALL civilized countries around the World treated the crime of using a hand held mobile whilst engine is running, ILLEGAL and applied meaningful punishments when caught. In KK I am always seeing Cars, vans and M/B riders driving (including turning at junctions & lane changing) with one hand holding their mobiles to their ears. Selfies are even worse as the person is looking into the lens not the road.

Many people like to think incidents that Mobile distraction cause, are unfortunate unintended accidents, but they are crimes leaving the innocent dead, injured or others properties damaged. For me, IF true the person was taking a selfie using a mobile then, for me, it should be categorized as some degree of murder. Obviously not 1st degree murder (I think US citizens call it), as certainly no intent to murder BUT please do not call it manslaughter which (for me) is purely an accidental death. When driving a vehicle, engine running, brake off using a mobile held in hand for talking or selfies is IMHO GROSS NEGLIGENCE and in the UK it would violate many traffic laws (not fully in control of vehicle, driving without due care and attention etc. Not only is the driver distracted but worse, one hand is off the M/B handles or car/van/lorry steering wheel, so how could anybody steer/swerve to avoid something unexpected. Selfies mean you intentionally choose to look at mobile instead of the road. IMO People should serve prison sentences where death or injury occur whilst using a mobile being held by hand.

Maybe a few readers here may feel I am harsh and they would be more careful if using a mobile in hand whilst driving. My answer to that is THAT IS WHAT THEY ALL THINK before an incident occurs. My wife often is in a similar position waiting to turn into Fairy Plaza as the M/B in the video and I am sure many of us (including me) who use M/Bs have been too. I certainly do not want to hear it was an accident if Police called to my house and told me my wife an kid had been hit from behind in a situation like this and were seriously injured (worse dead). Car drivers in particular should be severely punished (although all should be meaningfully punished) if caught with mobile to ear or taking a selfie whilst driving, because unlike with M/Bs it is not as easy to notice they are distracted and for other road users and pedestrians to be wary (especially as so many here have dark smoked glass windows) and because pedestrians and much small vehicles such as bicycles and M/Bs have very little chance of a good outcome when hit by a much heavier larger object.

Administration
Site Admin

Postby Administration » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:03 pm

I concur Draco, to me it is incomprehensible as to why the brakes were not slammed on at the first impact. I saw no evidence of acceleration so it could not have been the case of the wrong pedal used in panic.
The penalties in this case should be the most severe available to the Thai Justice system.
The keyboard is mightier than the mouse.

stevve

Postby stevve » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:52 pm

it looks like to me that when she hit the bike she took her hands off the wheel and her foot off the accelerator. what happened to the bike rider?

Lingba

Postby Lingba » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:46 pm

Oh man that is just horrible....She will probably end up paying the family off...do no jail time

parryhandy

Postby parryhandy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:14 am

RIP poor lady.
If she was taking a selfie whilst attempting to turn right and beat the green songtow the only explanation is she had her hands loosely on the top / or above the steering wheel with the phone in her hands which totally blocked her view of the moterbike .
Tragic and as Draco says could have been anybody with a bike unlucky to be there at that time.

arfur daily

Postby arfur daily » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:56 am

Hi All, of course very bad news! but unfortunately not the first case of its kind or the last in Thailand. If the driver is from a wealthy family they will of course buy their way out of the problem. Thailand is officially the second most dangerous country in the world to drive/ travel in.
The official figures for road accident deaths vary between 24,000 & 42,000 per year in Thailand! all depending on where you get your info from. In Thailand it only counts as a road death if the person dies at the scene of the accident! So forget all the ones that die on the way to hospital, the next day, week or month. Nothing will ever change here, while you can still buy a driving licence without passing the test, pay off the Police, ignore traffic lights, drive down the wrong side of the road etc etc, I have lived and driven here for 14 years, been hit several times by motorbikes and cars, also avoided many accidents, only by never relaxing or taking my eyes off the road for a second. You are not safe being transported by Bus or mini bus here, the rate of accidents for these vehicles is horrendous.
I know many people that refuse to drive here having seen the carnage that is a daily occurrence. Not long and we will have the figures for all the road deaths over New Year!
Happy motoring Arfur

stevve

Postby stevve » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:49 am

I would put a figure of 368 people killed on the roads over the new-year . I wonder how far I am out?. I would like it to be nil but knowing the way people drive and the way the laws are enforced I doubt it

Windy

Postby Windy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:33 pm

How does a Savant as yourself come up with these numbers

Edit: There was mean't to be a smiley but they don't seem to work

stevve

Postby stevve » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:51 am

simple . two years ago the figure was 365, last year it was 367 . so what's the problem? how many do you think it will be,
going by you picture you should change name to wingnut

Return to “Khon Kaen News”