Welcome to the Khon Kaen forum! Membership to this forum has been restricted. Email kketp1@ gmail dot com if you are interested in becoming a member. Thank you.

Water Shortage Hits KK Next Month

Windy

Re: Water Shortage Hits KK Next Month

Postby Windy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:00 pm

I live in a village about 30 km from KKC. When our house was built, we had two different water supplies on the land, I don't know what the difference is. One supply has weak water pressure and stops occasionally, while the other one has good pressure and rarely ever stops. Unfortunately it is the weak supply that is connected to our 1,000 ltr tank for house use.
So the only concession I have to make, for a drought in Thailand, is run a hose from my other supply to fill our tank some times. No restrictions at all, trees/plants get watered at least once a day, the kids occassionally fill up their small plastic swimming pool.
From how some of you are doing in the city, looks like I can give living in a village another tick for water. :Smiley58:

Draco

Postby Draco » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:58 pm

SkyyWalker wrote:Actually, the Dam's water...well: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/new ... sugar-crop

No joke when I say this, Katt and I have already supplied free water from the Chi river for a few local blokes so they can irrigate their various farming projects. No reason to take advantage of local farmers. I've not much sympathy for water parks or whatever, but I'm firmly committed to MY f-ing garden's survival as well as other regular folk's small farms who grow their own food.

I worry about potable water too, Draco, but if all you need is a good shower and laundry done, git yo asss down to the river and we'll sort ya out. Ya might even leave with some organic produce. Who knows?

Again, this isn't in jest.

Thanks for the offer SW which is greatly appreciated but washing in unfiltered river water sounds like asking for POSSIBLE trouble with river parasites and bacterial eye,ear and throat infections and being bitten by mozzies being a real softy COLD. I stay well away from mozzies as best I can as I fear catching Dengue Fever in view of my weight and other issues.

That's very kind of you helping out the local farmers. I often think some raise inappropriate crops or crops when market swamped BUT all need water for their crop. With regard to garden I must admit I have told my wife's I do not see how we can seriously fill our small ceramic pond use the hose or water spary system when Thais are losing crops and other having water cut. We are in risk for losing a few plants and shrubs that are struggling so we use a watering can. When Songkran is allowed to go ahead wasting water I do feel that I as foreigner am being more caring for others than Thais & Foreigners who will get involved in street water fights and why should I lose my plants when most are wasting water knwoing full well the Country is in severe drought and our part of Isaan and that parts using the Udonrat dam certainly should not waste water IMHO.

Draco

Postby Draco » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Administration wrote:Most houses in the village do just that but it does not seem to be sufficient to last through a drought.

The rain we have seen in last 2 days, of which only last night was really heavy where I live is very isolated in KKC itself. The last rain we saw at my home (Naimuang) must have been over 6 weeks ago.

Draco

Postby Draco » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Windy wrote:I live in a village about 30 km from KKC. When our house was built, we had two different water supplies on the land, I don't know what the difference is. One supply has weak water pressure and stops occasionally, while the other one has good pressure and rarely ever stops. Unfortunately it is the weak supply that is connected to our 1,000 ltr tank for house use.
So the only concession I have to make, for a drought in Thailand, is run a hose from my other supply to fill our tank some times. No restrictions at all, trees/plants get watered at least once a day, the kids occasionally fill up their small plastic swimming pool.
From how some of you are doing in the city, looks like I can give living in a village another tick for water. :Smiley58:

You are lucky as some villages have not faired as well as KKC. May I ask Windy if you you know whether your two supplies especially the main one are nearing critical levels or not and may just be cut suddenly. The experts are forecasting the worthwhile levels of rain are not really expected until June, that's 2 months away.
The only water I will use when not for me or my home is for our small bird bath as I know many birds use it to drink. The small ceramic pond (no fish is down to 30% full. If I became aware of fish survivors since last clean out or frogs etc. I would not let it run 100% dry if I could help it.

Topic author
SkyyWalker

Postby SkyyWalker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:38 pm

I had Dengue fever 10 years ago in Chaiyaphum. Fortunately, it was not the strain that causes internal bleeding!

Speaking of Chaiyaphum, that's near where The Chi River originates. You're wise to be wary of the river water, Draco. I was, too, when we bought the property over a year ago. That's why we had the water tested at KKU. The results were remarkably good. Of course, I wouldn't drink the water, but the test showed very normal levels of bacteria etc. and it's completely safe to swim in and eat any fish you catch. So the river originates roughly 200km away and maybe there is some new manufacturing plant upstream that's polluting the water, but I doubt it.

The chances of you getting bit by a mosquito in the daytime down at the river are nil. I've only seen a mosquito there once and that was after the sun had gone down. I suppose they don't hang out there as blood is in short supply!

Anyway, I'd say you have a much better chance of getting "poisoned" by eating anything sold at a local market or restaurant than swimming or showering with Chi water. However, as I already said, who knows what's happening upstream? I think I'll get another water test done and see if the results are the same. Alternatively, if I had more time and was in better shape, I'd kayak up to the dam in Chaiyaphum and see for myself!
http://kketp.com Tours & Thai Language Classes

Draco

Postby Draco » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:12 pm

Interesting and informative reply SW thanks. :Smiley57:

Would agree with you on the local market (and I would add some roadside food stalls where food is often standing in temperatures we have had recently). I do not eat much at all but my wife every so often goes down with stomach aches. Not sure if food she buys or the Thai habit of leaving food in bags or under saucers instead of placing in fridge. I keep warning her, but its difficult dealing with Farangs do not understand and we have always done these things these ways Thai mentality (what happened to technological and scientific advancement) now if I said do something smart phone related that would be a different matter for many Thais.

KK Veteran

Postby KK Veteran » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Thais have no concept of water management hence the shortage. I have a friend who waters the vegetables on her farm around mid morning each day meaning most will evaporate. The concept of watering in the evening when it will soak in to the ground overnight escapes their logic. I often see the city council watering the median near the Ferry Plaza late morning and sadly with a large nozzle instead of a spray that means 99% just runs straight in to the road.

man from the smoke

Postby man from the smoke » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:12 am

i played at Ubolratana Dam golf course last week,with water shortage in mind,i drove up to view the level of water,though it was misty,i could see a dam that was 60% full,not the 1% i had read in the paper reports,happy days for songkran

Draco

Postby Draco » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:41 pm

man from the smoke wrote:i played at Ubolratana Dam golf course last week,with water shortage in mind,i drove up to view the level of water,though it was misty,i could see a dam that was 60% full,not the 1% i had read in the paper reports,happy days for songkran

Now that's really interesting MFTS thanks. I don't know if the term 1% or 0% useable has any bearing.
Even so I cannot believe unusable would be more than a few percent (due to bottom silt and sand and being a lower level than the Dams turbines)

Ozbloke

Postby Ozbloke » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:23 am

Just did some checking of stats, KKC average yearly rainfall is around 200mm more than Brisbane, Queensland. Proper water management and nearly every household cold be self sufficient, (or close to it) if the caught their rain water.
And on the other end of the scale, where I am living now, (Kalgoorlie Western Australia) has an average yearly rainfall of 260mm compared to Brisbane 1150mm. Our water is piped nearly 600 klms. Just some interesting facts.,

Peter.

Return to “Khon Kaen News”